November 01, 2009

soldiers & families





    Today I talked to a young mom of 4 who has a husband in the Army and who is soon to be moving to a southern state to join him. He is  finishing his training there and then will find out where he will be stationed or deployed. This couple had decided that to save money they would have the mom drive all the way to this state by herself with her children and join her hubby. I could see the fear in her eyes as she talked about doing this. No easy feat with 4 young ones from ages 6 on down. They are good children but it will be a very hard trip for them all and surely for her. This couple is such a sweet young Christian couple and I felt my "MOMISM" rise up as I wanted to say well, "Dear maybe you should not attempt this or take some one with you on this trip to help you".... or maybe ... but  I just told her we would be praying for her.

    My own son is now in Iraq and his wife and children are home waiting for him. It is not an easy wait at times.  We his parents and brothers and sisters and cousins and uncles and aunts and grandparents wait for our son too.  His deployment  is not even half over and  I am now already worried about the next deployment.  Where it will take him and what will happen there....   Courage does not mean you do not fear it just means you walk forward even when what you want to do is turn and run....   I am proud of my son who serves his country. He has always been a soldier from the time he was little. He has always had a strong sense of right and wrong and has always defended those who needed justice.  He is a good man.  A strong man and a father.  A soldier.  It was so much easier when he was a child to protect him.  But now the monsters are real.  And now for real he protects us all as he has always wanted to do.

    Soldiers families are all around us. Some times you may not know who they are but they go to church with you, they are at the grocery store with you, they are your neighbors. They may not tell you they have a loved one serving their country.... because some times it is hard to do and talk about.  They may be that harried mom with 4 kids who looks lost and lonely and exhausted at the mall.  Please show love  and compassion next time you see one of us out and about with you and we not seem like we are acting quite normal....  At the weirdest times I can break down in tears....  it can be a song or a memory but all the sudden the tears  are just on my face...  I believe in what my son is doing.  But I want my son home. I want my daughter in law to have her husband with her, and my grandchildren to be in their daddy's arms again....  He is a good hugger and I have never gone so long with out one of those hugs.... I miss him. I just want him home safe. Like all of those other soldiers families.

   Take time to say a prayer for our soldiers and their families.... We need it.  This war is long.

2 comments:

Ohilda said...

AMEN!!! Thank you for stopping by my blog. I just wanted to leave a comment and say thank you for your support for our troops. My husband is a retired Navy man. We honor and are so thankful for the men and women who sacrifice so much for our freedom. Please thank your son for us. May God bless him and his family and may His angels surround him with a hedge of protection.

Blessings,

Ohilda

Dawn said...

Thank you. Your prayers mean so much.