July 15, 2010

A simplified Life (part one) a journey

   WE need to make it simple. We need to pare down our stuff.  How much does any one need in their stuff supply to be happy?  How nice of a house do I need?   I know I do not need the best.  I can live without....I am a  Pacific Northwestern woman.  I feel that in our area of the country we are big on informal life styles and in maintaining a more natural life style.  It is good to be frugal, to conserve, to use it up, to live a sustainable life style, to be thrifty, content, moderate in all things, a skimper, a saver and not wasteful.  Getting a good bargain is part of our lives.


   We live in a 100 year old house.  It is cool and we like it. But it is not done... meaning we will always be working on it... we will never have it "just so" or even done picture perfect...  It will never be featured in any magazine pictures... we live here.  I have no one to keep up with or to impress....   I want my house to be clean and in shape and I feel better when it is... but  it usually is not  "done" the way I would like it to be.

     I do not have lots of decorating done in my house....   no little "knic knacs" or cabinets to display them.... We drive an older car (that I should have been able to get a better payment on!)... and the rest of our cars are older still and paid for.... Not that we do not ever dress up but we pretty much wear pants and shirts year round.  Okay, well we do not dress up hardly ever!  Not even for church any more because we go to a very informal (Calvary Chapel) church too. And truthfully, if I had to dress up to go to church again I doubt I would feel inclined to attend a church like that.....


   I am not perfect in this area of "stuff collecting" ... Okay, I have a thing for Birkenstocks,  but I have gotten it under control!  And I do not have as many pairs as some people I know...  and I do not want more.  Right now,  I am a quilter so as far as I am concerned there could never be enough fabric in the world for me to own...   I need it and want it and will find some where to put it if I can just buy it.  I will plan to use it some day and if I die with a bigger stash then some one else... well, I will be happy to pass it on to another crazy lady like my self.  I also have a thing for purses... not expensive ones but I am never satisfied with the one I have and will always be on the look out for  a better one... pathetic and stupid, I know.  WE all have our issues....



   All of this is to tell you we "still" do need to simplify our lives...  I feel it deeply... I want a life where I can go with out so some one else can have necessities of life they do not have....  Life is not about owing the nicest clothes or the biggest house or the most of any thing....   Sure we all say that. WE know it... ya da, ya da.  But we need to feel some thing else.  Excitement about what we can give to the point of not being worried about how God will provide for us.  Stepping out in FAITH means that you have to trust God enough to TAKE A STEP  forward.... You have to move and not be able to see the road in front of you...    It makes no sense to the world.  You have no control and you know it.  FAITH does not mean you run around like a chicken with your head cut off all crazy!!!  Trying this and that and hoping you get some where...    That step in faith is a step not a trip or a fall.  You know you will put your foot down on solid ground and there will be more ground for the next step...   it means you know the one who calls your name in that still small voice and you follow Him.


   We have lived here for 20 years and most of our children were raised here in this house...we have collected way too much in 20 years!   Now we begin a new part of our lives with our last two children...   And it begins with making our lives more simple...   letting go of stuff and seeing where the next part of our future takes us...   


   Journeying with Jesus is not boring...ever!

1 comment:

TanyaLea said...

It's funny you write this now, as I've been wrestling with the same feelings to "simplify" and have less "STUFF"! And let me tell you, for this interior decorator who was always looking to upgrade to the latest look, that is a surprise even to me, that I have such a deep longing for change.

I love your ending sentence...

"Journeying with Jesus is not boring...ever!"

AMEN SISTER!!! ;)