November 11, 2010

Freedom is NOT Free and what that means?

    



   What does it mean when some one says, "Freedom is not free"? Is it just a saying or what?  I recently realized we need to teach the some of the younger generation what it means to sacrifice for freedom. Freedom is what we  have in America.  Some one said to me recently,  "Why would _ _ _ _ _ serve in the military when it put such stress on their family? They must not care about their family very much."
   I was totally dumbfounded by this statement...  But in truth, if we do not let our children know what the cost of freedom is they will not know.  That means talking about things that are not easy at times.  In America we want to give our children so much that  they may grow up not feeling very grateful.  Or they may be with out  respect for  those who have given it all for our freedom...




   Part of what I hope to do with my blog is leave a part of me behind for my children.  I want my children and grand children to know some of those who sacrificed for them to be free....

   Every one knows about Hitler and World war 2.  Every one (with sense) knows what an evil man he was.  At that time in America every one wanted to serve in the military to fight Hitler.  Young boys left home and lied about how old they were so they could fight.  Because they realized how important it was that he be defeated. They knew they could die... but as young men they only thought of the now. That did not make them fools... but heroes.   That is why most of every one in my fathers generation fought in this war.  They were proud of it too.  And many so many died.  In this war you did not serve for 6 months or a year.  You were in that war till you died or until it was won!  There was no email or tv coverage and the soldiers families did not know how they were while they were fighting.  They got letters when it was possible but it was war and those letters did not come very often.  Families knew that if their loved one died, eventually, a black car would come up the drive way and soldiers would step out of it...then YOU knew they would not be coming home.  Many soldiers bodies never came home then for burial.  Because it was war and that was not always possible...  
    At that time too many at home ate very little food. Because it needed to be saved for the soldiers...  There was such a thing as food coupons... you got food rationed.   Tires were rationed, gas, metal many things that were needed for war and for our soldiers were put in short supply here at home.  Every one supported our soldiers.  Every one...
    My fathers  (both my bio and my adopted) both fought, all their brothers and cousins too.  It changed them and they made deep personal sacrifices to fight in that war...  This was a personal war you fought hand to hand.  You looked a man in the eye and had to kill him or be killed your self. My Uncle Doc fought it for 5 years.  He came back home with a condition called "shell shock" and he was never the same.  All the rest of his life he was taken care of by his family.  I remember a man who was scared of loud noises and talked to him self and never any one else... He loved me and used to play dolls with me...He lived a long life but his life was gone before his body ever got home to his family.  He sacrificed....for freedom.
   Many men of this generation became alcoholics  both my bio and my adopted  fathers were alcoholics after the war.  They learned to shut down feelings and tough it out... and be men.  It was not easy for them... Most never talked at all about what they had seen or been through during the war.  (So they learned to self medicate with alcohol.)  They suffered in silence and had problems relating to their wives and children. No one got therapy then.  They were men who did what they had to do to keep our country fee.  I have to tell my children, too, that because of who my birth father became after the war is the major reason why I was placed for adoption.  So yes, freedom is not free....it costs every thing...
    There are many other stories of men in our family and what they went through so we could live in America free but these stories are not mine to tell.  

    And now we have a son and brother who is a soldier.  I am his mom I do not want him to fight. No mother does.  But I am proud of him and every man and woman who serves with him.  Because they sacrifice deeply...  And they need us to not forget that... ever.


 


   


  

2 comments:

Faith, Hope, and Love said...

Well said! Amen!!!

Aus said...

Here here - because of men and women such as these (and their families) we are free to blog and comment like no where else on earth - and for that I am profoundly thankful!

hugs - and our personal thanks added to yours -

aus and co.